Logo of the Kaiserpfalz IngelheimPictures of the Kaiserpfalz Ingelheim

Logo of the Kaiserpfalz Ingelheim

Content:

Saal mill



 
Millstones and other parts of the machinery from the 19th and 20th centuries Millstones and other parts of the machinery from the 19th and 20th centuries | © 

The last building work on the mill was destroyed by fire in 1983. The first written record of the mill is in a tenancy contract in 1435, in which a millpond “umb das groß hus unden an der salemolen“ is mentioned. It is not certain whether earlier texts from the 14th century refer to the mill. Besides this mill, there was at least one more within the Saal area, which was described alternatively as oil or horse-driven mill and finally known as the mill belonging to the Von Obentraut dynasty. It is very probable that there were other mills in the high Middle Ages at the same location.

The water to drive the mill came from the so-called hill, Mainzer Berg and was transported east and west past the Pfalz in order to retain it in a large millpond. The millpond was filled-in in 1928, but the name “Wäschbach“ (washing stream) is still used by the local population. The millstones and other parts of the machinery from the 19th and 20th centuries are on display at the location, where nowadays there is a seed and animal-feed business.

© 2008 Kaiserpfalz Ingelheim | Print of www.kaiserpfalz-ingelheim.eu
Print this page | Back to accessible version | Back to normal version
 
The 'Solidus Karls des Großen': Front- and back of the gold coin

© 2005-2009 Kaiserpfalz Ingelheim | Contact & Imprint | Sitemap